Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Challenge #152 - Aquafleur

Firstly, thank you, thank you, everyone for the amazingly fabulous response to my e-book. I have been overwhelmed and very, very grateful for the support it has received. Love, love, love.

If you haven't seen it and are interested - you can check it out here, or click on the book image on the right side-bar to see what it is all about.

In other big news (well, to me anyway!) I have finally, finally figured out the issue with my images coming out with grey backgrounds when loading to the blog.......they just looked yuck and dirty and it was driving me crazy! So, now, I've finally been able to update my banner, sidebar, etc and have them looking how I want.

Now, time to get back to regular posting again......I've got some fun stuff planned for the blog and am totally excited for this year! You?

This weeks Diva Challenge...........Aquafleur.......sounds kinda familiar...I may have tried it once or twice........or 50 million hundred times.

I'm not obsessive........

 
(aquafleur flower - reminds me of a parrot tulip
with the wrong type of centre - more experimentation
required here).
 
I'm not compulsive.......

 
(aquafleur scroll)
 
according to the thesaurus I am, instead:

passionate.............

 
enthusiastic..............
 
 
(done with my big blocky black marker then edges refined with
fine liner.....just to see if it would work in bold strokes. It did,
and was fun and fast to do, too.)
 
irresistible (ah.....yeah, really?....okay - I'll take it!)...............

 
(aquafleur blob thingy)
 
If you would like to see a video made up of photos showing how I've drawn this pic from start to finish, you can check it out on my Facebook page. It was my first time doing a photo video and it's pretty rough with lighting and kitty issues, but I'll definitely be giving this process another go.
 
Farm update: Jersey has had her calf (2 1/2 weeks ago) - last year she didn't deliver a live calf - we were so relieved to go out in the morning and see she had a gorgeous, healthy baby girl - this means we are back on the milking schedule after a 2 month break. I have gotten slack and have become used to staying up late drawing, so the 6am mornings have been a bit of an adjustment.
 

There's a lot of milk to go around.....so we get piglets. One has been an escape artist and 3 times when I went up to feed them, he trotted out across the paddock to meet me then happily skipped along, following behind, back through the gate to their paddock. Cute......but annoying. John has since fixed the fence so no more Houdini for that little pigster.


And......my grand-kitties Ollie and Bellie (Oliver and Bella). My little art room is the sunniest spot in the house.......makes me feel kinda sleepy, too. I'm not saying I lay on the floor and take a nap sometimes.....and I'm not saying I don't. LOL.


Have a fabulous day!
hx

32 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you can do with this new one !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just blown away. The minute I saw that his was your entry, I knew that I was in for something special; and how special it is. Not just one or two; but FIVE. Wow! They are all gorgeous. I got your eBook, and I hope that eventually I will be able to somehow approach your expertise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Audrie :) I am definitely enjoying playing with Aquafleur - I put in a lot of practice on this one till I got it right. Hope you are enjoying the book! hx

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, you have really gone in amazing and beautiful ways with aquafleur and I can't wait to go further outside my comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Incredible work! And I am enjoying your ebook immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful and whimsical! Thanks for sharing a little of your farm life with us. It sounds like it's wonderful and exhausting at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is wonderful and exhausting - we wouldn't live anywhere else, though :)

      Delete
  6. You said it Helen....irresistible...I agree! Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm impressed, they're all so lovely! You did a great job on Aquafleur!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my....what stunning work! Were you made for Aquafleur or was it made for you? I love them all.
    As for your Jersey baby.... I once met two newborn calves on the little island of Jersey itself and I shall never forget them sucking my fingers - I adored them, Twinkle and Cherry. Thanks for sharing! Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jersey calves are the best - so cute! We have a pole Hereford bull, so unfortunately, although my milking girl is purebred, her calves always look like Herefords :)

      Delete
  9. Wow amazing, stunning, but on forehand I knew would turn this tangle into such a beautiful artwork. This Tangle is just you. I love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you have done! especially with the flower!! I just got your new book and it is amazing!!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Karen :) I am so happy to hear you are enjoying it!

      Delete
  11. Helen, Love, love, love them all. I think my favorite is the oblong space design and the flower. Congrats for Jersey deliviering a live birth!!! She looks like she a fanatastic mum. Your cats are so georgeous I wish I had gotten a play mate for my Oscar he does get lonely and yes I'm thinking about getting him a play mate too.

    Unfortunately I haven't got your book yet and are dying to see the finished version. Money has been a little tight and I'm hoping next week will be okay to get it. I can't wait to start drawing some of your designs on the weekend as I've been busy quilting. This ridiculous summer we are having is making concentration difficult especially when it gets super hot as Adelaide is at the moment. Even ironing cotton fabric is hard in 43 degree heat as it was today. Congratulations on your book Helen I'm really surprised some book company didn't sign you up with it first!!!!! Julie Beard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie :)

      We already have 3 adult cats and none of them want anything to do with the other, so we decided we would get 2 kittens together this time so that they would keep each other - and my daughter - company (though, I DO think I'm mad for having 5 cats, but anyway........)

      I'll be keeping the book available on the blog, so you'll be able to get it any time you are ready - I am actually really enjoying being in control from start to finish with this one- it's been a great learning curve. I can imagine ironing is awful in the heat - I've been hating doing the dishes, too! Fortunately this week has not been as hot as they predicted, though we're in for a 40+ weekend.

      Delete
  12. You are all of the above descriptions. I told a friend whom I was recommending your e-book (which she purchased) that you are a real down to earth person. Yes you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you marguerite for your lovely comments and for recommending my book. I hope you are having fun with it! hx

      Delete
  13. Your Aquafleurs are so wonderful with so many great adaptations to inspire us. I had to laugh at your description of yourself :) Love those little kitties sunning themselves too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of your interpretations are so pretty! Each one has something dramatic and different and the stark black, white, and red makes everything really pop! The "aquafleur blob thingy" is my fave ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all of these Aquafleur interpretations. I don't think I could easily pick a favorite, although I do have a fondness for your flowers. Have only had a chance to glance through your e-book, and I can't wait to really sit down and work with it. You did a beautiful job and I love the videos. Thanks for sharing the farm stories and pictures. Love reading your blog. :-) We've had very cold - windchill factor of zero - weather here this week. I came out to our living room earlier today, and saw that one of our throw comforters that was left on the sofa looked extra lumpy. When I looked closer, I could just barely see the tip of a nose belonging to one of our kitties. She had burrowed into the comforter creating a nice cozy nest. What is it about watching a cat nap that just makes you sleepy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Lovely to hear you are having fun with the book! Cats/kittens just so cute when they're sleeping - you can't help but want to curl up with them :)

      Delete
  16. Love your work. I always want for a new post from you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All are STUNNING! Wonderful your artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your elegant and ornate interpetation and elaboration from Aquafleur. Beautiful and graceful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cannot think of any new descriptors to use. You showed the versatility of the tangle with your variations, I like the uniqueness of the rectangular one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What can I add to all these commenst? That I just agree with al the compliments, that I love the (new I suppose) header of your blog.
    That I love the photo's of the calf with it's mum, the piglets and of course of the kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you everyone for the lovely, generous comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are just TOO good! I love all your pieces for the aquafleur. I had struggled with this pattern thinking it was limited on shape, but you proved my wrong! I take it as a challenge…. Great work… as always! Also, you do great to limit yourself and enjoy the white space… I struggle with leaving much white space at all. I admire that about your work. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Every one of them is beautiful, but I like the first flower the best. I have a thing for daisies. I also like the touch of red you sometimes added. Very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great work, Helen. I always love the clarity of your drawing and the perfect symmetry.

    ReplyDelete